Re: Program Income Question Herbert B. Chermside 27 Feb 2003 12:33 EST

See comments.
Chuck

At 10:36 AM 2/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Chuck,
>We have limited program use to the period of the parent grant.  We apply
>to it the same F&A rate as is used in the parent grant.

Are you applying an F&A rate to the program income as you use it?  This
confuses me a little.  We never have.  It is not immediately obvious
whether that is legal or not.  All of us do impute F&A on our cost sharing;
it just is in the University pool rather than the Research pool when F&A is
calculated.  But program income is essentially revenue derived as a result
of using goods and services paid for by the grant, on which you have
already claimed F&A.  I'd like to hear others on this.

>The university also has other revenue accounts that have not involved
>sponsored programs (conferences, etc.) that charges an administrative
>fee of 30%, higher than the usual F&A on such program-generating
>projects

>Question:  After the grant period, is the university still required to
>charge F&A at the rate in the parent award, or can it switch to the
>negotiated rate or some other revenue account rate?

Why should it be limited to the F&A rate?  It is an administrative fee, not
F&A, that's being charged.  For that matter, the administrative rate being
higher than the F&A rate sounds like your F&A rate (that's facilities and
ADMINISTRATION)  is too low, or you measure the administrative cost in F&A
differently than in other areas, which might signify inconsistency.  But I
believe you have a short form F&A rate, so you are probably getting really
shorted there.

Of course if you switch rates in a way the faculty sees as mid-stream,
you'll fail to make friends and influence people.

>Janet
>
>********
>Janet M. Hahn, C.R.A.
>Executive Director
>Office of Sponsored Programs & Grants Management
>Radford University
>Radford, VA  24142-6926
>
>tel:  540-831-5479
>fax:  540-831-6636