Re: Program Income Question Melinda Sewell 27 Feb 2003 11:35 EST

For federal awards, you must use the program income before you use the award
funds. Here's the citation: OMB 110, Section .22 Payment, (g):

"To the extent available, recipients shall disburse funds available from
repayments to and interest earned on a revolving fund, program income,
rebates,...before requesting additional cash payments."

Because program income is spent first, leftover balances are usually award funds
and for cost reimburseable awards, they revert to the agency.

We advise our PIs to write to the sponsor and ask to use this balance for
additional work on the project.

Melinda

Michael Pelletier wrote:
> I am dealing with exactly the same question.  The clearest guidelines I
> have been able to find have been NIH's, which specify that the funds have
> to be used for allowable project costs, which I interpret to mean within
> the project term.   OMB A110 seems to suggest that program income not used
> for additional project costs or as match should be deducted from the amount
> otherwise due to the grantee under the award.
>
> I am also very interested to know whether anyone has received a definitive
> answer to this question.
>
> Michael Pelletier
> Associate Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
> Education Development Center, Inc.
> (617)618-2227
>

>                       "Reynolds, Craig
>                       A."                      To:      xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
>                       <xxxxxx@CMICH.         cc:
>                       EDU>                     Subject: [RESADM-L] Program Income Question
>                       Sent by:
>                       Research
>                       Administration
>                       List
>                       <xxxxxx@HRINET
>                       .ORG>
>

>                       02/26/2003 05:56
>                       PM
>                       Please respond
>                       to Research
>                       Administration
>                       Discussion List
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> Got a quick question for the group...  we have a Bureau of Health
> Professions training grant for which any program income is to be used for
> additional costs.  What I would like to know is if the program income must
> be used during the term of the award or if we can use the program income to
> further the purposes of the award after it has expired.  (We'd like to hold
> the income we're receiving now until the grant has expired so that we can
> keep the program running later.)
>
> I think I know the answer, but thought I'd check the collective wisdom out
> there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig

Melinda H. Sewell
Coordinator, Communications & Policy
Office of Oversight, Analysis and Reporting
Office of the Vice President for Research
University of Minnesota
420 Johnston Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55455-2070

Phone: 612-624-4042