Re: Airline Vouchers Received On Grant Funded Travel Daniel S. Rademacher 24 Feb 2003 17:05 EST

Hi Judy,

I disagree that the university should get the benefits.
1.) travel was on a NIDA grant (not university funds)
2.) travelers were inconvenienced by the overbooking not institution nor
agency making the award.

If you have ever been inconvenienced by a situation for which $300 in
vouchers were given you will understand that it is a totally personal
experience and no employer or agency deserves the vouchers more than the
person who travelled.

Dan

At 01:34 PM 2/24/2003 -0800, Judith Opacki wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On the contrary, I believe that the vouchers belong to the university.
>The university paid for the tickets, and the students were traveling on
>university business.  Therefore, all benefits belong to the university.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Judy
>Judith Opacki, Assistant for Special Projects   Tel: (206) 543-6026
>Cloud & Aerosol Research                        Fax: (206) 685-7160
>Department of Atmospheric Sciences           or Fax: (206) 543-0308
>University of Washington
>Box 351640
>Seattle, WA  98195-1640  USA
>
>On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Tania H. Clucas wrote:
>
> > Lola -
> >
> > My opinion - the travel still happened at no additional cost to the
> project,
> > and the vouchers are meant to recompense the traveler for their
> inconvenience.
> > On a related matter, I assume they are not restricted from claiming
> frequent
> > flyer miles, which I think would fall into a similar regulatory category.
> >
> > As far as I know, we don't do anything, because it's not our concern,
> as long
> > as they get to the location to do what they are supposed to, without
> incurring
> > extra costs.
> >
> > Tania
> >
> > --
> >        Accountability and accounting are not the same thing
> >
> > Tania H. Clucas, CRA                      mailto:xxxxxx@sfos.uaf.edu
> > Sponsored Programs Manager                       Voice 907.474.6736
> > School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences           Fax   907.474.7204
> > University of Alaska Fairbanks              http://www.sfos.uaf.edu

Daniel S. Rademacher
Grants & Contracts Administrator
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Northwestern University
676 St. Clair
Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60611