Re: Falling F&A Rate Kaars, Charles 20 Feb 2003 13:40 EST

Ruth:

 A-21 Section G.7. says:

 a. Federal agencies shall use the negotiated rates for F&A costs in
effect at the
time of the initial award throughout the life of the sponsored agreement.
"Life" for the purpose of this subsection means each competitive segment of
a project. A competitive segment is a period of years approved by the
Federal funding agency at the time of the award. If negotiated rate
agreements do not extend through the life of the sponsored agreement at the
time of the initial award, then the negotiated rate for the last year of the
sponsored agreement shall be extended through the end of the life of the
sponsored agreement. Award levels for sponsored agreements may not be
adjusted in future years as a result of changes in negotiated rates.

 Note the plural "rates"

 So, if you submitted when your rate was, say,  45% and your award
arrived after your new 3 year rate agreement took effect and the first year
of the new agreement was at 44% with a one point reduction in the following
2 years and you got a five year award, the rates to be applied to the award
would be 44, 43, 42, 42, 42.  Those would be the rates (plural) in effect
throughout the life (i.e. competitive segment) of the award.

Charlie

Charles Kaars
Assistant Vice President
Sponsored Programs Administration