Re: F & A distributions Farnsworth, Franci 20 Feb 2003 10:27 EST

Short answer - Middlebury College does not "distribute" F&A reimbursements
... we take F&A into the budget as "unrestricted income".

Longer answer - We use the paragraph below to explain F&A rates and recovery
to PI's.    For the most part, we get no arguments.   It helps that we have
a dedicated line item for a "Sponsored Research Matching Fund" (which is
used to meet required matching requirements as well as other expenses
related to sponsored research such as maintenance for grant-funded
equipment, expenses that are considered essential for a grant funded project
but aren't allowed by sponsor guidelines or exceed sponsor cap, etc).

Franci Farnsworth

Coordinator of Sponsored Research
Munford House
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753

Tel:  802-443-5889
Fax:  802-443-2081
Email:  xxxxxx@middlebury.edu
Web:  http://www.middlebury.edu/~grants/

From Middlebury College document,  "Grant Budgets - Procedures & Policies":

F&A (or indirect cost) payments represent a "grant" from the federal
government to the host institution that provides the space and the support
for scholarly research.  In effect, F&A payments reimburse the institution
for all of the costs that are not directly supported by the grant and for
all the hidden costs of sustaining a supportive environment where good
research can be undertaken.  At Middlebury College the funds recovered
through F&A payments are taken into the budgeting process as unrestricted
income that assists the College in providing up-to-date facilities and
programs for our students and faculty.  F&A (indirect cost) reimbursements
support the "matching fund," maintenance of equipment, library needs,
start-up funds for new faculty, purchase of new instructional equipment, as
well as utilities related to research space and the costs of grant
administration (including Grants Office and Accounting).