Re: international travel Herbert B. Chermside 19 Feb 2003 08:44 EST

Develop a written policy and follow it consistently.

There may be a reason to differentiate at least parts of the travel.  For
example, if the US to foreign entry point is the same both ways, but the
local/regional travel is clearly fully allocable to separate projects, you
might split the "common" route evenly and charge the rest to the related
project.  If you cannot differentate, split the whole trip.  I'd suggest
this is a very defensible policy on audit if it is used consistently.  You
may want to have the next level of academic (or research) management to
concurr on the billing, though you may have that already in place for travel.

Chuck

At 06:00 PM 2/18/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I am interested in how other universities might handle this situation:  A
>PI is funded by a variety of USAID subcontractors.  His activities take
>place in a variety of countries in close proximity to one another. It
>therefore makes sense that on a flight to project A's site, he might stop
>off in route to do some work for Project B at another site.  This makes it
>difficult to determine which of the two project accounts should be charged
>for the travel or how much each project account should be charged.
>
>I am interested in how other universities handle similar situations.
>
>Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
>Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
>The University of San Francisco
>2130 Fulton Street