Re: F&A Distributions Special Note Herbert B. Chermside 18 Feb 2003 11:15 EST

Some Federal agencies do not allow foregone F&A to count as cost
sharing.  U. S. Dept. Ed is notorious.  Check agency guidelines AND the
program announcement carefully.  Sometimes will not meet NSF mandatory cost
sharing requirements for their few programs that require this.

Chuck

At 02:54 PM 2/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Christy,
>
>Yes, your clients can use the money recouped from the F&A costs.  An
>earlier respondent was correct, the F&A rates are based on real costs
>and are meant to reimburse the university for those costs.  However,
>universities pay the real costs (heat, lights, snow-removal, etc.) out
>of one "account" and F&A reimbursements get deposited into another
>"account". It is up to the university where they ultimately distribute
>the money from the F&A account.  They can put it back in the light bill
>account or they can use it for cost-sharing or as "discretionary" money
>for departments or PI's to further their work.
>
>Ruth Tallman
>Lehigh University
>
>Christy Jarrett wrote:
> >
> > It seems by the recent response of F&A distribution that the funds can
> > be spent any way the college chooses.  As someone more familiar with
> > proposal writing than the administration of federal grants in the
> > university setting, I use this LISTSERV as a learning tool and hope
> > you will not mind if I ask questions from time to time.
> >
> > One of my clients is a small university where a lot of grant
> > opportunities have to be passed upon due to the cash match required.
> > Could they not use the money recouped from their indirect cost rate to
> > build up a matching fund pool?  I welcome your thoughts and opinion.
> >
> > Christy Jarrett,
> > President, Jarrett & Associates
> > PO Box 416
> > Powellton, WV 25161