Re: RESADM-L Digest - 14 Feb 2003 to 16 Feb 2003 (#2003-38) David R. Fielder 17 Feb 2003 13:39 EST

Yes it is just semantics, but that doesn't mean it's not of consequence.  Perception is important, particularly how PI's perceive research administration.

Of course anyone is free to use income (IDC recovery) in any legal way they see fit.  However, what they are really doing is using their own funds as rewards.  The NIH would never send the IDC if it wasn't to reimburse for already experienced F&A costs - not for rewards.

OK, nuff said....

 David

At 12:00 AM -0500 2/17/03, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>There are 2 messages totalling 119 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>  1. F&A Distributions (2)

>Date:    Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:26:54 EST
>From:    Christy Jarrett <xxxxxx@AOL.COM>
>Subject: F&A Distributions
>
>--part1_125.1e5c4902.2b813ffe_boundary
>
>It seems by the recent response of F&A distribution that the funds can be
>spent any way the college chooses.  As someone more familiar with proposal
>writing than the administration of federal grants in the university setting,
>I use this LISTSERV as a learning tool and hope you will not mind if I ask
>questions from time to time.
>
>One of my clients is a small university where a lot of grant opportunities
>have to be passed upon due to the cash match required.  Could they not use
>the money recouped from their indirect cost rate to build up a matching fund
>pool?  I welcome your thoughts and opinion.
>
>Christy Jarrett,
>President, Jarrett & Associates
>PO Box 416
Powellton, WV 25161

Mr. David R. Fielder                    tel: 415.600.1600
Vice President Research         fax: 415.600.1753
Research Institute                 email: xxxxxx@cooper.cpmc.org
California Pacific Medical Center  website: http://www.cpmc.org
2200 Webster Street,  Suite 514
San Francisco, CA 94115