Re: F&A Distributions Ruth Tallman 16 Feb 2003 14:54 EST

Christy,

Yes, your clients can use the money recouped from the F&A costs.  An
earlier respondent was correct, the F&A rates are based on real costs
and are meant to reimburse the university for those costs.  However,
universities pay the real costs (heat, lights, snow-removal, etc.) out
of one "account" and F&A reimbursements get deposited into another
"account". It is up to the university where they ultimately distribute
the money from the F&A account.  They can put it back in the light bill
account or they can use it for cost-sharing or as "discretionary" money
for departments or PI's to further their work.

Ruth Tallman
Lehigh University