Re: F & A distributions Mike McCallister 14 Feb 2003 13:05 EST

We redistribute, although I haven't dug out our whimsical formula.

Sure you can call it a reward.  What F&A is, of course, is cash--
unbudgeted on a lot of campi.  It's the only loose change many
schools have and how we choose to use this cash is our business--
it's ours.  If we want to turn it back as an incentive, that's fine.
We charge it based on a real cost, but we choose to pay that cost
with other funds, then use the reimbursement for other expenses.
there's not a philosophical issue here, just a choice.  And, most
importantly, it's not our choice, anyway.

Spanky

>Would someone who responded initially to Betty (with a formula)
>please also now respond to David?  I'm not a budget person and am
>confused.  Is this a question of semantics?  Or are IDCs being
>recovered improperly?
>
>Charlie Hathaway
>
>At 09:21 AM 2/14/03 -0800, you wrote:
>>IMHO, we would all be better off if we ceased using this
>>terminology.  The IDC recovery process is to reimburse actual,
>>audited (A133) F&A expenses.  It is not some sort of
>>"reward/largesse" from the NIH.
>>
>>How about calling this process what it really is - A Reward Based
>>On Received Grant Funding With Full IDC - utilizing internal
>>institutional funds?  There's nothing wrong with rewards, but
>>clarity helps, usually.
>>
>>Maybe this would help reduce investigators thinking we
>>administrators are all running some sort of shell game?
>>
>>         David

>>--
>>===========================================================
>>Mr. David R. Fielder                    tel: 415.600.1600
>>Vice President Research         fax: 415.600.1753
>>Research Institute                 email: xxxxxx@cooper.cpmc.org
>>California Pacific Medical Center  website: http://www.cpmc.org
>>2200 Webster Street,  Suite 514
>>San Francisco, CA 94115

Mike McCallister, Ph. D.
 Director, Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 South University
Little Rock, AR 72204-1099
(v) 501-569-8474
(f) 501-371-7614
(c) 501-590-5609

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I've found it!), but 'That's funny...'"
 ~ Isaac Asimov