REPLY == Re: [RESADM-L] F & A distributions Steve Bradley 13 Feb 2003 18:13 EST
Ms. Farbman,

I provide my responses for the University of Minnesota.

1) We initiated an "Incentives for Managed Growth (IMG)" program several years,
which generates a significant percentage of F&A recovery dollars back to the
Colleges/Deans via a semi-annual rebate process;

2) In brief here, Colleges/Deans receive approximately 50% of the F&A recovery
dollars generated by their Depts.; this percentage represents the Dept. Admin. &
Eqp. Depr. cost pool components of our overall Research F&A rate; the logic
being that Colleges/Depts. can use these Unrestricted rebate dollars to pay for
administrative support costs associated with sponsored agreements (including
expenses that can not direct charged to federal grants, per A-21); also, the
rebate can fund required equipment inventory costs;

3) In truth, I do not know exactly how each College/Dean re-distribute these
semi-annual Rebate dollars; however, it is my understanding that some do channel
these back to Depts./PI's (via a set formula) while others maintain such for
collegiate administrative costs of processing grant proposals/awards;

4) Please note that the remaining approximate 50% is retained by central
administration for subsequent redistribution to units that incur costs during
the performance of work on sponsored agreements; for example, a large portion is
returned to facilities management (i.e., utilities, depreciation in research
buildings) while other dollars are returned to sponsored/general administrative
units that incur applicable costs.

Regards,
Steve