Re: F & A distributions James R. Brett 13 Feb 2003 17:08 EST

Betty,

Our redistribution is as follows:

For a grant or contract recovering f&a at our normal 42.5% research rate, 42.5%
of the amount recovered goes to the Dean of the college where the grant
originated, and 58.5% stays in the Foundation for administrative expenses and
end-of-year distributions to key offices (the President, etc.)   Most deans keep
1/3 of the amount redistribued and send 1/3 to the chair of the department and
1/3 to the PI.

If the grant or contract is written at a lesser rate because of either program
limits or negotiations the same rate is used to calculate the amount going to
the Dean for subsequent split.  Thus, for a grant at 20%, 20% of the amount
recovered is redistributed; it the rate is 10%, then 10% is redistributed.  If
the rate is 7% or less, nothing is redistributed, and in fact, the Dean pays the
difference between the rate and 7% as a fee/fine.  Thus a 5% recovery rate
produces a fee/fine of 2% payable to our our fiscal agent (Foundation).

Sounds complicated, I know, but it works.

Jim

Farbman Betty A wrote:

> Dear Friends:
>
> I know that we've asked this over time, but folks change their distributions
> from time to time, and an update would be most appreciated.
>
> Could folks please provide the following information:
>
> 1) Does your institution distribute the F&A recoveries?
> 2) What is your institution's formula for distribution? (e.g. - PI, Dept,
> Dean, etc.)
>
> I'd be happy to post the information received to the list.
>
> THANKS in advance
>
> Betty Farbman
> St. John's University
> xxxxxx@stjohns.edu