Re: Grants vs gifts Barbara Gray 31 Jan 2003 16:38 EST

Winnie,
We would treat this as a sponsored project and run it through my office.  That
said, we are currently revising our gift vs grant policy because, for the first
time, our foundation has hired a person who will spend part of his time helping
individual facultly find private funding (rather than just concentrating on big
institutional priorities).  We also recognize that the development folks are
measured by money brought in, so, if they have a role in securing the funding,
we needed to find some way to allow them to count the award.  We are building
in a provision in the revised policy that will allow the foundation to bring in
and count this type of award, but then we will flow it down through Sponsored
Programs to the university for management since we  have those systems in place
and the foundation doesn't.  (We would also take the IDC in this case for
administering the project).  We don't have a particular problem about
"double-counting" at the end of the year, as our numbers are never compared for
the same purposes.  If a problem ever did come up, we would just report those
flowing through the foundation separately.
Barbara

Wilma Ennenga wrote:

> How would your university handle a grant awarded with the conditions
> described below from a private foundation? Would the grant be administered
> by the foundation or by the university sponsored projects/grants office?
>
> The award in question is from private foundation whose literature states
> that "Grants are awarded to nonprofit public charitable organizations that
> are tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code". The
> purpose of the grant is to "recruit and train (ethnic minority) school
> administrators". The grant was "paid up front" rather than cost
> reimbursement, and allows 15% indirect costs which the foundation would
> intend to claim if grant expenditures are made directly from the foundation
> rather than from the university. The deliverable is a final product
> report/video to help distribute knowledge/lessons learned to others in the
> field. Other specific terms and conditions are that the award is revocable,
> a period of performance is specified, a detailed financial report is
> required showing how the funds were expended, and unexpended funds must be
> returned.
>
> Thanks for your responses, and please feel free to respond to me directly
> at xxxxxx@nau.edu
>
> Wilma G. (Winnie) Ennenga
> Director, Office of Grant and Contract Services
> Northern Arizona University
> BAC 100C, Building 51, Knoles Drive
> Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4130
>
> Telephone: 928/523-8319   Fax: 928/523-1075

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/