Re: Question: How do you handle proposal overload? Charlie Hathaway 31 Jan 2003 13:53 EST

Elsa-

Innovative ideas don't get grants.  Well-defended innovative ideas get grants.  And to the extent that good writing, reasonable budgets, evidence of institutional commitment, adherence to guidelines, proposal internal consistency, neatness, and timely submission to an appropriate funder ALL contribute to the defense, anyone who works hard at pre-award should take a lot of credit for successes and accept some blame for failures.

Charlie Hathaway

At 11:50 AM 1/31/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Bill,
>You don't know me, and I don't often reply to posts to this list, but I wanted to tell you I very much like your response to Jane, especially with respect to considerations of institutional culture. However, on point number two, I would argue that the success of a proposal and a subsequent award should not contribute to your job performance...the PI was the one with the idea; the PI described the project and wrote the description. I have been asked at job interviews how I would evaluate my own performance. My response is always the number of grants submitted and what the faculty think of the service I provide; I never consider awards made because I am not the originator of the innovative idea that won the award, even though I may have contributed by constructing (or helping to construct) the budget, the executive summary or abstract, editing, etc.
>         cheers, Elsa Nadler

>Jane, I'm at a much smaller place than you--we submit about 80 proposal per year--so I'm sure that we don't face the deadline crunches that you do. Still, I'm a one-person Grants Office, so when 2-3 proposals come in at the same time, as sometimes happens before the CCLI deadline, for instance, the pressure is on.  But I made a conscious decision years ago not to make any arbitrary deadlines.  Here's my reasoning:
>
>1. Where I am, the most important function of the Grants Office is to stimulate more and better grant proposals.  We're an undergraduate institution where research has never been emphasized.  Establishing the Grants Office some years ago was part of the institution's effort to increase faculty research and scholarly activity.  For me to create rules and deadlines which might discourage faculty from writing/submitting proposals would be counter-productive--our teaching-oriented culture places enough barriers in place already.
>
>2. My own job performance is judged in large measure by the numbers of proposals we submit and grants we receive.  From that perspective, it would be stupid for me to turn someone with a proposal in hand away from my door.
>
>So I ask folks to give me at least a couple of days to review budgets and obtain institutional signatures, but if they show up just before the deadline I'll do whatever I can do to get their proposals out the door.  I frequently race to the post office with express mail packages, just before closing time.  (But if we miss that close, I make the PI drive the package to the nearest airport with a 24 hr. postoffice, 30 miles away.  That's only happened once.)

> [...]
Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs