Re: Indirect costs on tuition Herbert B. Chermside 31 Jan 2003 12:22 EST

We use full federally negotiated F&A whenever possible.  Attached is a
policy we had.  For internal political reasons we have withdrawn it as a
posted policy (and that's why the response is to you pewrsonally), but we
follow it still.  We DO insist on a chair/dean request for EACH reduction
of F&A, primarily to keep them aware that each such program does not
collect full cost (our federal rate doesn't collect the full costs, either,
but we let that slide!), and to justify the benefit to the university of
accepting it.

Quite privately, I understand most clearly that the real reason we're here
is to "teach the kiddies".  If I see a proposal that is REALLY to support a
student (after 30 years I can tell if the faculty member is pulling a fast
one!) I'll accept reduced or no F&A.

Chuck

At 10:55 AM 1/31/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>For those proposals/awards that do not carry your institution's negotiated
>rate, what do you use as the base for calculating indirect costs? Do you
>use a modified base or a total direct cost base? Specifically, if tuition
>is an exclusion from your federally negotiated indirect cost rate, what do
>you do in cases where non-federal agencies allow a total direct cost base
>at lesser rate (i.e. foundations that limit recovery to 10% of your TDC)?
>
>Have you had any problems related to this issue?
>
>Thanks,
>Domenica
>

>Domenica G. Pappas, CRA
>Associate Director
>Office of Sponsored Research and Programs
>Illinois Institute of Technology
>3300 S. Federal Street
>Main Building, Room 301H
>Chicago, IL 60616-3793
>
>Phone:  (312) 567-3035
>Fax:    (312) 567-6980
>Email:  xxxxxx@iit.edu
>
>web:    www.grad.iit.edu/research/
>
>What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
>George Berkeley

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568