Re: Grants vs gifts Chaffins, Gary 31 Jan 2003 11:31 EST

Wilma;

We have a couple of ways to deal with such situations since our foundation
has no research capability and for corporate reasons neither we nor they
want to involve themselves in grant and contract activities:
 1.      If we see the proposal in advance (we usually do since we
have policies and procedures in place with our foundation that this office
must sign off through the University clearance process for all the
compliance reasons) we try to determine if the 501(c)(3) status is a
specific and hard requirement of the private foundation or if it is short
hand for general tax exempt status.
 As a public university our tax exempt status flows through
IRS section 117.  We are of course subject to section 170(c)(1) regarding
unrelated business income. In many cases we have found that the Foundation
will accept the 117 status once they realize that we are exempt but not
specifically under 501 (c)(3) and make the award to the University.
 2.      If the award must go to the university foundation, the
foundation will route the award to the university before acceptance.  This
is to allow us time to look for unacceptable terms and conditions.  If the
award is made without acceptance sign-off and particular terms are
unacceptable we may have to go back to the private foundation for
resolution.  Once we have the best award language circumstances will allow,
we will then write an agreement with the university foundation for the to
become a subrecipient and we will assume responsibility for the conduct and
management of the grant.

Gary

Gary Chaffins
Director, Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 - University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-5219
Voice  (541)346-2395
FAX   (541) 346-5138