Re: What is 100%? Moreland, Kim 30 Jan 2003 19:42 EST

Thanks, Gary.  This is a terrific presentation of this important point.

Kim

Kim Moreland, Director
Grant and Contract Administration
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Avenue, N
M/S J6-500
Seattle, Washington  98109
xxxxxx@fhcrc.org
206/667-4868 (voice)
206/667-6221 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: Chaffins, Gary [mailto:xxxxxx@ORSA.UOREGON.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 2:18 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] What is 100%?

For the higher education community of this group.

Unless you have a non-forecast pay and/or an hourly reporting system for
your faculty labor; instead of a percent of effort after the fact reporting
system, you may find that the use of hours where faculty time is involved
can have some very serious negative results.

First of all, at our institution, our faculty effort is listed as percent of
time in proposal budgets for both direct labor charges and cost share
purposes.  For academic contract appointment and payroll purposes they are
appointed on a percent basis.  Their regular appointment for payroll and
activity reporting purposes totals 100%, regardless of the number of hours
necessary to meet the needs of their assignments.  Their assignments may
include instruction, research, public service and institutional
administrative appointments.

If you are confusing the use of percent and hours for the same faculty
member, I don't think you are unique but I suggest caution and consideration
of the following.

I made a presentation the other day to one of our high volume grant units
which was struggling with faculty level of effort issues and the
misunderstanding about faculty time commitments.  One of big concerns was
over commitment of faculty time (never happens anywhere else of course).
Previously we had identified some apparent faculty confusion related to
percent of effort and their sometimes interchangeable use of hours when the
topic was labor.

In order to address the potentially expensive differences between counting
faculty hours rather than percent of effort, I prepared the attached
PowerPoint presentation for the group.  I think the difference between our
faculty talking about their time in hours has been clarified to some extent.

I hope the attached is useful for this topic.

Gary Chaffins
Director, Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 - University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-5219
Voice  (541)346-2395
FAX   (541) 346-5138