Re: What is 100%? Jackie Givens 30 Jan 2003 17:25 EST

We figure the same as the College of Charleston.  J.

Jacqueline Givens
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Road, #0111
Kennesaw, Georgia 30144-5591
PHONE:  (770) 423-6036
FAX:  (770) 499-3620
WEBSITE:  http://www.kennesaw.edu/osp

>>> xxxxxx@COFC.EDU 01/30/03 04:52PM >>>
At College of Charleston, faculty carry a 12- hour (4 course) load each
semester.  For faculty evaluation purposes, teaching is generally
considered to be 80% of the faculty member's time/effort, with the
remaining 20% being devoted to a combination of research and service.
 However, in budgeting for grants, we figure one course release at 1/8
of salary.  So we seem to be saying two different things for different
purposes.  But that was the way it was when I got here ten years ago and
looking at pros and cons of changing it has just not been a priority.
 So the results of this query will be interesting....
BG

Farbman Betty A wrote:

>Dear Friends:
>
>At your institutions, what constitutes 100% time and effort for faculty?
>
>Do you figure percentages of release time based on teaching load only, or
>does your institution identify a portion of the faculty member's time as
>devoting to research and/or service?
>
>Thanks for any answers.  If you wish to reply directly, my email is below.
>
>Betty Farbman
>St. John's University
>xxxxxx@stjohns.edu

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/