Re: Audit access to subcontractor records GSchmidt 05 Dec 2002 20:59 EST

Interesting problem here.  You have an obligation as a recipient of
federal funds to ensure that subawardees use their funds in accordance
to A-21 and 110.  You can't get out of that.  Neither can they.  How
would they do an audit if they were direct recipients?  Do they have to
do an annual A-133 audit (probably do)?  Couldn't you do a desk review
of that looking at the auditor comments?  That's pretty much what we do
with each other when we do subawards with another college.

You could also restructure the relationship so that it is a purchase of
service contract and not a subaward.

I am surprised, though, that a non-profit is acting like this.  Usually
if it's payroll info they want to protect, it isn't to prevent their
competitors from knowing, its an internal privacy issue.  They don't
want their own people knowing what  each other's salaries and benes are.

Good luck.

Greg Schmidt