Re: NIH extramural+intramural ?? Daniel S. Rademacher 02 Dec 2002 18:31 EST

Hi Charlie,

I am working on that issue right now and am waiting for a response from NCI
as well as FDA for a grant application.

I will follow-up with you when I get the scoop.  Feel free to remind me if
I do not get back within a week or so.

Dan

At 01:15 PM 12/2/2002 -0500, Charlie Hathaway wrote:
>Hi-
>
>We have heard that there are new guidelines to allow NIH intramural
>laboratories to participate more directly in NIH grants to extramural
>researchers (so that intramural laboratories are not cutoff from
>participation in cutting edge work). Does anyone know of procedures
>(within an R01 or other application) that would allow an extramural
>investigator to collaborate with an intramural NIH laboratory, and request
>funds to support a laboratory tech to conduct grant-related work within
>the NIH lab?
>
>The tech would be full time on the grant-related research, which would
>involve projects not otherwise being undertaken by the laboratory, but
>obviously in the lab's area of expertise. The tech could either be a
>direct employee of NIH, or placed there (e.g., an employee of the
>university but a "special volunteer" at NIH, which would give them status
>to be in the lab).
>
>Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
>Charlie Hathaway
>**************************************
>Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
>Office of Grant Support
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>1300 Morris Park Avenue
>Bronx, NY 10461-1975
>Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
>email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
>http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs

Daniel S. Rademacher
Grants & Contracts Administrator
The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Northwestern University
676 St. Clair
Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60611