Re: Express Mail Delivery of Proposals Elisa Espinoza Fallows 15 Nov 2002 11:09 EST

Right after Sept. 11th, we missed the University shipping deadline and
thought we could just drive it to the airport.  But at that time, they
weren't accepting packages.  So we called in a favor, e-mailed it to
someone in D.C. we knew, and had them walk it over.  We faxed the pages
with signatures.  The project officer accepted the thrown together
version in lieu of the original, which we overnighted the next day.

>>> xxxxxx@MURRAYSTATE.EDU 11/15/02 09:26AM >>>
Once at an institution where I previously worked we regularly used a
commercial carrier service who provided excellent service. However,
one
they sent a $2 MM dollar grant application to the wrong city and we
were
going to miss the deadline.  To add to the problem, many staff members
were
to be paid from the grant.  We called the sponsor and faxed them a copy
of
the application which they graciously accepted.  If they had not
accepted a
faxed copy in lieu of the application getting there on time, I don't
know
what we would have done.

Michael

Murray State University

At 09:01 AM 11/15/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>On Wednesday, November 13th, I mailed a grant proposal via express
mail
>from Illinois to California.  There was no set deadline for the
proposal to
>be postmarked or received (thankfully).  I checked the "delivery by
next
>afternoon" on the shipping slip, so it should have arrived by the end
of
>the day on Thursday, November 14.
>
>When I tracked the shipment at the end of the day yesterday, it was
still
>enroute.  However, it was only 2:30 p.m. California time, so I assumed
it
>would be delivered later in the afternoon.  (We use this company
frequently
>and have never encountered problems.) This morning (11/15), it was
still
>enroute.  I just called the express mail company and they said the
envelope
>had missed the plane out of Illinois on Wednesday evening and should
be
>delivered this morning (11/15).
>
>If this had been a proposal to an agency with a set received deadline,
I'm
>wondering what would have happened.  Would the agency still accept
the
>proposal for review because we did everything we could to meet the
>deadline, or would they return it without review?
>
>I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experienced this situation,
and
>what the results were.
>

>Cathy Thomas
>Assistant to the Director