Re: Newsletters Rosemary Alexander 13 Nov 2002 15:02 EST

Case Western Reserve University sends a monthly electronic-only newsletter
sent via  email, and also posted on the CWRU website. I have no measure of
how well read it is. Comments have been generally positive. We use this
newsletter to pass along campus research announcements as well as
sponsor-related news. We do not try to provide a comprehensive list of
funding announcements, as we have other offices on campus within the various
schools that provide help with that service. Also, CWRU encourages faculty,
via workshops and one-on-one help as needed, to set up their own profiles on
Community of Science as well as on other sponsor websites. We do include
some funding announcements that fit one of the following categories:
out-of-the-ordinary, apparently publicized mainly via hard copy, are
multidisciplinary and might miss the notice by some departments, or
otherwise of special note. We also have regular features & notices, such as,
Community of Science tips, seminar series announcements, equipment loans,
repairs, or custom fabrication info, a link to our new awards URL, and a
list of sponsor URLs.  We plan to move soon toward a more web-based
newsletter, sending only a short email with headers and short lead-ins with
links to move the reader to the web edition. I think that short emails are
better because they are more widely read and don't clog up mailboxes. A more
expanded version may be published on the web. The trick is to entice readers
to seek out the web edition. You may read our most recently posted
newsletter at http://ora.ra.cwru.edu/newsletter_10_25_02.htm.

Rosemary Alexander
Assistant Director, Office of Sponsored Projects Administration
Case Western Reserve University
Via regular mail: 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106-7015
Via FedEx, UPS, etc.: 2040 Adelbert Rd., Suite 4, Cleveland, OH 44106