Re: Confidentiality Agreements Jeff Myers 13 Nov 2002 14:55 EST

Valerie:

We run into this provision from time to time.  I'd say about a quarter of
our agreements contain such a clause although we insist on language that
states that the oral information will be "summarized" in writing as opposed
to "reduced" to writing which requires much more detail.  If you're on the
receiving end of information it's ok since you end up with a better record
of what you need to keep confidential.  If you're a provider it can be a
hassle and there's always the possibility that a PI won't remember to do
the summary even if you do the usual PI educational effort.

Jeff Myers
Southern Illinois University