Re: costshare tracking Reynolds, Craig A. 13 Nov 2002 12:22 EST

Rene,

At Central Michigan University, we treat cost sharing pretty much the same as we do grant funds.  We transfer the cost sharing amount we are obligated to provide into a matching fund that is associated with the grant (e.g. if the grant account is 61213 then cost sharing account is 91213).  We then incur expenses against the cost sharing account just as we would the grant.  It provides a nice audit trail.  The only really cumbersome (and fairly frequent) part is when personnel appointments are split between the two accounts -- figuring the percentages can be a pain.  We often track third-party in-kind contributions using a voucher receipt document that is signed by both the third-party and the project director.

Craig