Re: Newsletters Charlie Hathaway 13 Nov 2002 09:13 EST

Yes, if you are simply trying to announce funding opportunities, Elsa's comments are the answer.  But maybe you want to do more.

The decision to choose web vs paper has to be based on whether people care about the info.  If they don't care, they are not going to go to a web site.  With paper, I don't think length is really a factor.  Like a grant, the first few pages should solicit interest.  If interest is there, people will read.

For me, the decision between using email vs interoffice hard copy mail is more difficult.  My informal surveys have yielded mixed results based, it seems, on personality.  I have heard the statement "There is no way you can avoid..." applied to both paper and electronic.

Assuming (forgive me) that most research faculty don't give a hoot about the stuff in MOST newsletters, I think bombardment with an email to notify them of the web-based newsletter AND a paper copy will simply amplify the wrath.

C. Hathaway