Re: Changing IC Negotiated Rate Herbert B. Chermside 05 Nov 2002 17:24 EST

Under federal regulations, you will continue to get the old rate throughout
the competitive period.  The new rate will apply with the next competitive
budget year.  It has been my experience that for other sponsors that
usually you will keep the best relations by applying the new rate with the
next new budget period.  Very seldom will it be easy to increase the cost
in the middle of a budget period.  The problem with this approach --
particularly in these tight financial times -- is that many in the
University do not understand that you cannot go back and renegotiate a
budget period (or competitive cycle) cost once set; they say, "The rate
went up yesterday, so we will have $x Million more in the kitty
immediately!" while you know it is a gradual process.

Chuck

At 04:44 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>We have recently renegotiated our IC rate upward.  How do you handle new
>grants that were submitted under the old (provisional) rate but awarded
>under the new rate?  Do you find sponsors sympathetic and willing to
>increase the size of the grant to accomodate the increase?  Any special
>buzzwords to use when talking to sponsors?
>
>Thanks
>

>Elaine Young, Ph.D.
>Associate Vice Provost for Research
>University of Maryland, Baltimore County
>1000 Hilltop Circle, Admin 204
>Baltimore, Maryland 21250
>
>(410) 455-1336
>(410) 455 1876
>xxxxxx@umbc.edu

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568
Express Delivery Only:
 Sanger Hall, Rm. 1-032A
 11th & Marshall Streets
 Richmond, VA  23219
Voice:  804-828-6772
Fax     804-828-2521
OFFICE e-mail   xxxxxx@VCU.EDU
Personal e-mail xxxxxx@vcu.edu
http://www.research.vcu.edu/ospa.htm
VCU will close most faculty and staff offices from December 21, 2002
through January 5, 2003.  OSPA will operate only a skeleton staff, with
some limited hours, during this period.