Re: Other Support disclosures: Biosketch form vs. Other Support form Aull, Robert 01 Nov 2002 14:50 EST

I agree, they serve different purposes and equating the 'new' biosketch section C with Other Support makes the two seem particularly redundant to investigators.

As an aside, the size limit of the biosketch has not really changed.  Sections A and B (the traditional biosketch information) are still limited to two pages; the 'new' Section C adds a maximum of two pages more.  No net gain in the list of publications.

Robert Aull
ERA Grants Mgr
IUSM-Office of Operations
1120 South Drive FH 207
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5114
Voice:  (317) 274-2325
Fax:            (317) 278-6842
E-mail: xxxxxx@iupui.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Hathaway [mailto:xxxxxx@AECOM.YU.EDU]
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 2:21 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Other Support disclosures: Biosketch form vs.
Other Support form

I disagree with some of John's answers...

Listing of funding on the NIH biosketch is for review purposes only.  The PI need only list those SELECTED projects, funded or not funded, during the last 3 years, that are relevant to the proposal.  They may be grants that have ended.  It does not include pending applications.  Direct costs and % effort are not included.  This should be completed strategically but truthfully to enhance competitiveness.  If your proposal is on retinopathies in diabetics and you have another grant on some unrelated neuro thing, I would not include it unless it somehow promoted reviewers confidence in you as a efficient user of federal research investment.

Other Support is an administrative issue.  Reviewers will not see it as it is submitted after peer review.  It must be comprehensive and complete, and include $$ and % effort.  It must include pending applications but does not include funding that is not current.

While the biosketch may contain unfunded projects (important to junior clinical people with only modest research experience), the formal Other Support only lists sources of all funds.

Charlie