Re: DOJ Publication Approval Charlie Hathaway 16 Oct 2002 15:42 EST

Let's get picky with this bureaucratese. They probably meant what we think they meant, but I think they messed up on the wording:

1) "...submit all reports and written products RESULTING FROM this award to OJJDP for review and comment"...
THIS IS CLEAR, AND ANNOYING, BUT THE WORD "APPROVAL" IS ABSENT.

However...

2) "The grantee must submit to OJJDP for approval any reports or written products that the grantee will publish using grant funds."

DOES SUBMISSION OF A PAPER FOR PUBLICATION IN AND BY A JOURNAL CONSTITUTE USE OF GRANT FUNDS TO PUBLISH?  STRICTLY SPEAKING, THIS SAYS THAT IF YOU USE GRANT FUNDS TO CREATE A DOCUMENT AND USE GRANT FUNDS TO HAVE SOMEONE PUBLISH IT, THEN YOU NEED APPROVAL. ASIDE FROM JOURNAL PAGE CHARGES, ARE GRANT FUNDS USED TO PUBLISH RESEARCH ARTICLES?
SAME WITH THE LOGO.

Charlie