Re: question about release of information by judicial or government order Jeff Myers 15 Oct 2002 12:51 EST

Martha:

Occasionally we have agreed to notify the provider of confidential
information if a judicial order may require the disclosure of confidential
information.  However, we have never agreed to provide "reasonable aid and
assistance" in opposition (and I have never been asked to as far as I can
remember).  As you mentioned, this is very open ended and subjective.  A
recipient could potentially incur a great deal of cost in providing this
"aid."  We would take the position that notice is sufficient for the
provider to take whatever legal action they deem appropriate in opposition
to disclosure (and there are all sorts of legal proceedings available to
them should they need to compel the recipient to do something).

A compromise would be to include language covering out of pocket costs
incurred in providing  any "aid and assistance."  However, the potentially
significant downside is that you could get entangled in a lengthy legal
proceeding that you may not want to be a party to.  It could involve
unpopular subjects that a university doesn't want to be associated with
(e.g. public health/safety issues).

Regarding trade secrets, I can understand why a company would be more
conservative in their approach but I don't think the issue of the recipient
agreeing to provide "aid" should be crucial.  What would be important would
be the degree of care required by the agreement in handling the trade
secret information.  For instance, the company may want you to use your
"best efforts" instead of more typical "reasonable efforts" in securing the
information.  The university would be subject to a greater legal burden of
care and you would want to be very comfortable that your PI's handle
information safely (then return/destroy it when the collaboration is
over).  Also, if your state has an open records law that could be an issue.

Jeff Myers
Southern Illinois University