Re: IRIS, SPIN, COS, etc. Mike McCallister 11 Oct 2002 09:46 EST

Inertia and coin flip is right.  Generally folks choose because of
their comfort in one set of descriptors, format, etc.  I've yet to
see a screaming big difference in any of them.  All have to be
researched, as you don't know who did the updates or, with accuracy,
when.  Still, they are a time saver on the front end of a search and
running one or two is worth the cash.

spanky

>Dan-
>
>The three databases you mention are probably still the most
>comprehensive.  We subscribe to two of them but only the full
>package (e.g. email notification and other extras) for one.  [I am
>not saying which ones we use because I can't see that much
>difference between them and our decision was made, pretty much, by
>inertia and coin flip.]
>
>I would call each company, request a trial look and see period, and
>run some sample searches.
>
>Charlie
>
>At 08:41 AM 10/11/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>We are a private, non-profit environmental research organization,
>>seeking advice/opinions about sources of funding opportunities. We
>>have about 40 PhDs, total research staff of 120.  We are in the
>>process of investigating IRIS, SPIN, and Community of Science.
>>Have been off this list for awhile, but checked archives and did
>>not see much discussion about this topic when ScienceWise went
>>down. Any advice about relative merits of these sources would be
>>appreciated, as well as any pointers to other providers. Thanks in
>>advance.
>>Mr. Dan Snyder
>>Administrative Director
>>Patrick Center for Environmental Research
>>Academy of Natural Sciences
>>1900 Ben Franklin Parkway
>>Philadelphia, PA  19103-1195

>**************************************
>Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
>Office of Grant Support
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>1300 Morris Park Avenue
>Bronx, NY 10461-1975
>Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
>email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu

Mike McCallister, Ph. D.
 Director, Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 South University
Little Rock, AR 72204-1099
(v) 501-569-8474
(f) 501-371-7614
(c) 501-590-5609

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I've found it!), but 'That's funny...'"
 ~ Isaac Asimov