Re: IRIS, SPIN, COS, etc. Charlie Hathaway 11 Oct 2002 09:41 EST

Dan-

The three databases you mention are probably still the most comprehensive.  We subscribe to two of them but only the full package (e.g. email notification and other extras) for one.  [I am not saying which ones we use because I can't see that much difference between them and our decision was made, pretty much, by inertia and coin flip.]

I would call each company, request a trial look and see period, and run some sample searches.

Charlie

At 08:41 AM 10/11/02 -0400, you wrote:
>We are a private, non-profit environmental research organization, seeking advice/opinions about sources of funding opportunities. We have about 40 PhDs, total research staff of 120.  We are in the process of investigating IRIS, SPIN, and Community of Science.  Have been off this list for awhile, but checked archives and did not see much discussion about this topic when ScienceWise went down. Any advice about relative merits of these sources would be appreciated, as well as any pointers to other providers. Thanks in advance.
>Mr. Dan Snyder
>Administrative Director
>Patrick Center for Environmental Research
>Academy of Natural Sciences
>1900 Ben Franklin Parkway
>Philadelphia, PA  19103-1195

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu