Re: Policies on Funding from Tobacco Companies Michael J. McCue 08 Oct 2002 13:32 EST

Shouldn't we look at restricting acceptance of funds as a limitation on research. For example, what if a funding agency said that a university could not accept funds from Jewish organizations, minority-owned organizations or any of a number of other restrictions. What if you had a grant from the American Vegetarian Society stating that you could not accept funds from a meat organization such as the Pork Producer's Council. I fear that such clauses are a slippery slope that would be used as tools to advance their particular clause, or, in the alternative, to diminish any "competition" from another view point.

Food for thought.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Ruth Tallman [mailto:xxxxxx@LEHIGH.EDU]
Sent:   Tuesday, October 08, 2002 2:18 PM
To:     xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject:        Re: [RESADM-L] Policies on Funding from Tobacco Companies

I'm not positive but isn't the "tobacco settlement" money that went to state
governments from the tobacco companies?  In this case, should the
institution also refrain from applying for money from the settlement through
their state?

Ruth Tallman
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Lehigh University
526 Brodhead Avenue
Bethlehem, PA  18015
Phone:   (610)758-3024