Re: Policies on Funding from Tobacco Companies Charlie Hathaway 08 Oct 2002 12:29 EST

I think your investigation should consider the wisdom of a policy in reaction to the capriciousness of certain funders.  You mention the issue of tobacco subsidiaries and how similar arguments could be used to prevent eligibility to alcohol industry funds.  If we broaden the scope of the hysteria, the list is certainly longer.  Why not include the entire pharmaceutical industry?  Are they looking for truly revolutionary new types of agents to cure disease or just more data to support marketing claims?

These may seem like tricky ethical questions.  But I would like to think that our main concern should be with promoting and enforcing objectivity in the design, conduct, and reporting of research regardless of the source of funding.

Charlie Hathaway