Re: NIDA Award - Department of State Hold Baumann, John 02 Oct 2002 16:38 EST

This is not new language for NIDA.  At a previous institution, I was involved in two such projects.  With one, we got State Dept. approval right away; with the other, it was delayed about 6 months for, as far as we could tell, no reasons of substance (we heard a rumor that the State Dept person and the PI did not like one another).  I do not necessarially think that it is limited to NIH or HHS.   But I don't know how widespread it is.  I have been involved with several awards from the Fogarty International Center at NIH and there never were such restrictions to these awards -- presumably State Dept. approval was obtained before the solicitation went out.  I would recommend that you contact the international office at NIDA for guidance -- when I had these issues, the Director was Dr. Pat Needle, but I do not know if she is still there.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direclty if I can be of more help.

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road (US Postal Service)
5211 Rockhill Road (Express Delivery)
Kansas City, MO 64110

816.235.1303 (v)
816.235.6532 (f)
xxxxxx@umkc.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Chaffins, Gary [mailto:xxxxxx@ORSA.UOREGON.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 4:13 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] NIDA Award - Department of State Hold

We have just received an award from NIDA that contains a statement "This
award includes funds to support research activities at an international
site, xxxxxx England.  All funds associated with the international research
are restricted pending approval of the U.S. State Department."

Is this a new requirement or restriction, is it limited to HHS, we have not
seen this language before?  Can anyone point out an announcement or
regulation pertaining to this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Gary Chaffins
Director, Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 - University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403-5219
Voice  (541)346-2395
FAX   (541) 346-5138