Re: Criteria for Proposal Submission Herbert B. Chermside 30 Sep 2002 15:51 EST

Our process is pretty simple.  We refer to a level of academic management
that supervises the proposers and let them make the selection.  Usually
this is at the level of deans.  We request them to choose which proposal(s)
shall represent the University, leaving the judgement and trade-offs to them.

If we have good notice, we announce the program to the deans (or at least
those whose departments can respond to the opportunity) and find out
who/how many there are interested.  Sometimes that is all we need.  If more
are interested, we have the deans select.

Some programs are clearly centrally directed (often infrastructure) --
e.g., NIH RR grants -- and the VP-Research decides.

Of course there is always the problem of too many different people popping
in a day before the deadline, without notice and with this office not
previously realizing it is a limited opportunity program!  In that case, we
just do the best we can -- look at the proposal itself to see which best
follows sponsor criteria, call a couple of deans, etc.

Just went through that for a couple of NSF programs.  One PI checked with
us as soon as he became familiar with the program, and we solicited through
dean.  After they had decided, another PI weighed in fairly late in the
process.  We had his dean tell him he was too late!

No process is infallible,  but this works pretty well, and does force
academic management to make the decisions.

Good luck!!

Chuck

At 03:09 PM 9/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>Greetings,
>

>We are in the process of developing a policy for the institution that
>addresses decisions about which of two or more investigators can submit a
>proposal to a funding agency when the agency will allow an institution to
>submit only one proposal. Does anyone currently have a policy or process
>in place that they are willing to share?
>

>Wendy A. Lawrence-Fowler, Ph.D.
>
>Assoc. VP for Research
>
>University of Texas-Pan American
>
>Edinburg, TX  78539