Re: cell phones as a direct cost Ruth Tallman 26 Sep 2002 12:56 EST

Wendy,

I think you hit the nail on the head: "they...were written into the
proposal".  That's the key.  It doesn't guarantee that an auditor won't
dispute the necessity of cell phone charges, but it's a "best effort" to
think through the needed expenses and present them up front.  Every time
I've run into the use of cell phones it has been after the grant is
started, not in the budget, and pretty much as a "convenience" for
people who are on the road alot.  In that case, I won't allow any
charges but those directly attributable to the work and definitely not
the cost of the service.

Ruth Tallman