Re: Cost Sharing question Michael Pelletier 20 Sep 2002 14:40 EST

My experience with NSF grants is that, for grants that have an annual cost
sharing certification requirement, if cost sharing falls short of the
required amount for a budget period the shortfall must be reported and
explained the program officer.  If the reasons are acceptable to the
program officer the next funding increment will be approved, but the cost
sharing will have to be provided eventually.

 Fred Averick
 <xxxxxx@CIMS.NY         To:      xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
 U.EDU>                   cc:
 Sent by:                 Subject: [RESADM-L] Cost Sharing question
 Research
 Administration
 List
 <xxxxxx@hrinet
 .org>

 09/20/2002 03:07
 PM
 Please respond
 to Research
 Administration
 Discussion List

>We have an NSF grant where the notice of grant award lists annual amounts
>of required cost sharing.  Say, the year 1 grant award is for $200,000 and
>the cost sharing for year 1 is $300,000--but if we've only spent $100,000
>in the first year, would NSF expect the cost sharing to be the full
>$300,000 or in proportion to our actual expenses?

Thanks.

Fred Averick
Sponsored Research Administrator
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
New York University
ph: (212) 998-3372
fax: (212) 995-4125