Re: query re: 'principal' GSchmidt 19 Sep 2002 19:16 EST

Chuck:

I agree with most everything you say.  Except here.

A principal is a legal term for an officer of a corporation.  This would
be a Board Member, President, Provost, VP, or any other individual who
has signatory authority to legally bind the institution.  This can also
include Project Directors and Principal Investigators and Co-PI's, as
well as department chairs and their associates depending upon how the
organization is structured.  It could even include a Manager of Grant
Accounting or Research Administrator.  For these, its that "critical
influence" part that comes into play.

When the Congress crafted the Debarment clauses, they were trying to
stop the shady dealings that were going on in private industry in their
DoD contracting.  The Legislature struck out after corporations, and
individuals in any decision making role.  The embodiment into DFAR and
FAR of the Debarment clauses are deeply rooted, and not leaving us any
time soon.

Imagine being prevented from being able to hold any position on a
federal award of any kind with any organization!  What a penalty.

Board members hold a special position, however.  Someone could be
debarred or suspended but still retain their position on the board.
 They would have to recuse themselves from any discussions involving
federal awards or subawards (directly or indirectly).  That's as I read
it, but I'm sure there's a lawyer in this group who would know better
than I.

So.  Keep it clean and above board, folks!  As I like to say, never put
yourself in a position to be ashamed of finding your name on the front
page of the local newspaper.

Greg Schmidt