Re: Secretarial support charges on federal (NIH) award s Marie Smith 12 Sep 2002 15:01 EST

We are an A122 institution.  Our secretarial staff is treated as part of the
indirect cost.  If we need to hire a program assistant, then it is charged
as a direct cost.

If an expense can be directly linked to a program, then it can be charged as
a direct cost.  Page 11 of 66 States the Salaries and wages of
administrative and pooled clerical staff should normally be treated as
indirect costs.  Direct charging of these costs may be appropriate where a
major project or activity explicitly requires and budgets for administrative
or clerical services and other individuals involved can be identified with
the program or activity.

Marie

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Marie F. Smith, CRA