Re: faculty productivity Randall Legeai 10 Sep 2002 11:48 EST

At 11:32 AM 09/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know a good source for comparative data on faculty productivity
>related to sponsored projects?  We are specifically interested in any data
>on average number of proposal submissions and amount of funds awarded to
>faculty by discipline/rank/type of institution.
>
>Pamela F. Miller, Ph.D.
>Director Office of Research and
>Sponsored Programs
>University of Southern Mississippi
>Box 5157
>Hattiesburg, MS  39406-5157

Pamela:

 From NSF you can get the non-biomedical subdiscipline R&D expenditure
figures by institution (FFY 2000 are the most recent available).  For
comparative faculty counts, the closest you can do is the IPEDS data (from
the faculty salary survey).  These figures are not broken down by
discipline, and do not (should not, anyway) include biomedical faculty, so
they do not work well for generating per-capita R&D expenditure
numbers.  The AAU generates an estimate of per-capita R&D expenditures by
using the institutional NSF expenditure amounts and dividing by the sum of
the IPEDS faculty counts and the AAMC "Basic Science" (i.e. non-clinical)
faculty counts.

For biomedical departments, your best source will be AAMC.  Although they
have not updated the data on their semi-restricted website in a few years,
they do have faculty count and R&D expenditure data through FY 2001, and
can therefore generate rankings on a $/faculty member basis by
department.  There will be some caveats with some departments because of
the different ways they are combined at various institutions
(psychiatry/neurology, for example).  NIH also provides rankings based on
award amounts by department and institution.

I do not know of any central source for proposal submission or success rate
data at the level of institutions or departments.

Randy.
<http://www.tulane.edu/~govtaff/rlhome.htm>Randall Legeai
Assoc. Director, Institutional Program Development
Tulane University, <http://www.tulane.edu/~govtaff/>Office of Institutional
Program Development and Government Affairs
1440 Canal St., Suite 2500
New Orleans LA 70112 -  (504) 988-3390; fax (504) 988-3388