Re: Currency Exchange Rate Risk GSchmidt 30 Aug 2002 22:25 EST

Laurie:

I'd beg my Pre-Award folk to not take a 4 year award in foreign
currency.  The risks are entirely too great.  If the foreign currency
tanks, we're stuck.  If inflation hits here, we're stuck again.

I have seen where some institutions have picked a rate as of a given
date.  If their currency loses value with respect to the dollar, or if
the dollar strengthens, you'd lose out.  You would also have fees
involved to convert the currency to US dollars which probably couldn't
be charged to the grantor.

Stick with the US dollar...

Greg