Re: Currency Exchange Rate Risk Luc Simon 29 Aug 2002 15:23 EST

Hi everybody,

We also are sometimes on either side of this fence. We are sometimes
recipients of funds from foreign entities, and we sometimes send money to
foreign institutions.

Basically, went we accept the funds, we take whatever is offered !

I see some contradiction in most responses so far: How can it be that US
institutions would only accept (require payment) in US$, and recognize that
when they are the one to award the funds, they insist in a fixed US$ amount
also ?

In practical terms, when we receive an award in a foreign currency, we
approximate the amount in our own currency, and make adjustments along the
way as we cash in the payments. Small price to pay for internationalization
!!

Regards,

Luc Simon

Le 28/08/02 17:04, « Herbert B. Chermside » <xxxxxx@VCU.EDU> a écrit :

> If we are doing the work, we quote in US$ and require payment in
> US$.  Eliminates the risk.  Otherwise, I'd advise getting the department to
> guarantee from its own funds any US$ difference lost.
>
> We're pretty one way about it -- if we are subbing to someone else, we
> limit the sub to a maximum of X US$, too.
>
> Chuck
>

> At 03:12 PM 8/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>> Has your institution ever accepted a grant agreement from a foreign
>> country in which  the compensation amount was expressed in a foreign
>> currency instead of US Dollars? If so, do you have any suggestions about
>> how we should deal with the risk of
>> currency exchange rate changes over the course of the contract period
>> (four years).
>>
>> We are negotiating a four year subcontract with a research foundation in
>>
>> a European country that is funded by the European Union, and we are very
>> concerned
>> that if the Euro is significantly devalued over the four year period, we
>> could suffer a loss on the cost reimbursement agreement.  The European
>> country would be paying us, and the foundation's contract negotiator
>> said that the subcontract has to be in Euros.
>>
>> Laurie
>>
>> --
>>
>> Laurie P. Chamness                   Phone:  (843) 953-4973
>> Assistant Director                   Fax:  (843) 953-6577
>> Research & Grants Admin              E-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
>> College of Charleston
>> 66 George Street
>> Charleston, SC  29424