Re: Reporting of interdisciplinary awards Gardner, Ed 20 Aug 2002 07:46 EST

We have struggled with this issue ever since I have been a Research
Administrator and it has become a hot topic recently with some of our larger
colleges. We have held a focus group session and a couple of meeting with
the Research Officers on campus to help guide us to a new way of counting
awards. We have traditionally credited 100% of the award to the first
department identified by the principal investigator. Earlier this month we
received concurrence from the Research Officers and administration to split
credit among the principal investigator and any co-principal investigators
according to a percentage split (with all pieces totaling 100%) among their
respective departments/centers as identified on the routing form.

To accommodate those that would like to double count and have a legitimate
need to identify the magnitude of activity that their department/center is
engaged in, we have created an additional report that lists all awards that
faculty are either PI or Co-PI on with the agreed upon credit for award and
expenditure counting and the total award amount listed in each department
that is listed for credit. The following is an example of how one activity
is listed under two different departments:

Sponsor/Title           PI w/ Co-I (-)  Project % Awd Credit % Exp Credit
Period                  Funded Amount

Col/Dept: HUMAN ECOLOGY COLL : HUMAN ECOLOGY ADMIN (15000)
NAT IN DIAB,DIG,&K D    BRAY, TAMMY M   739838          0               100
09/01/2000 08/31/2002   $438,000
Antioxidants and nuclear factor kappa B activation in insulin-dependent
diabetes.

Col/Dept: OFC AGRIC ADMIN : OARDC-HUMAN ECOLOGY (56900)
NAT IN DIAB,DIG,&K D    BRAY, TAMMY M   739838          100             0
09/01/2000 08/31/2002   $438,000
Antioxidants and nuclear factor kappa B activation in insulin-dependent
diabetes.

...Ed
Edward J. Gardner, PhD, CRA
Director, Institutional Research Data Analysis
The Ohio State University Research Foundation
1960 Kenny Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone: 614-292-5416
Fax: 614-292-5913