Re: NIH policy question Herbert B. Chermside 14 Aug 2002 09:36 EST

It has been our policy to accompany any proposals to multiple agencies
(including NIH with R01/P01) with a letter explicitly stating to whom
proposals are sent.  This allows sponsors to communicate among
themselves.   Other than the occasional individual reviewer (review
manager) who won't call his counterpart, this should take care of
things.  Of course our PI's do not necessarily let us know, so sometimes we
miss doing it.  Of course we will not accept two fundings for the same work
-- but sometimes there is the opportunity to make small changes that make
two projects parallel rather than identical (which is not germane to your
NIH question).

Chuck

At 04:02 PM 8/13/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Question for NIH types:
>
>Is it permissible to have the same science being reviewed simultaneously
>for 2 different funding programs/mechanisms?
>e.g.
>an R01 and a P01 project
>a response to an RFA and an unsolicited application
>or even an R03 and part of an R01
>
>I was under the impression that it had long been forbidden (though of
>course difficult to enforce especially with the Just-in-Time now applied
>to Other Support pages) within NIH and had recently been extended first to
>all PHS and then to all federal agencies (with major focus on eliminating
>simultaneous NIH and NSF applications).
>
>Someone is going to answer that of course it is alright as long as you
>don't accept both.  But that is my question: is it really OK?
>
>I was at an NIAID meeting last week where a program director said that
>there was no policy against simultaneous submission of the same proposal
>as both an independent R01 and as part of a center application...BUT...he
>strongly discouraged it on the grounds that reviewers for the center would
>think less of the center application if they knew the PIs were covering
>their bets with the R01.
>
>Does anyone know...is he right about no policy for ALL of NIH?
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Charlie
>

>**************************************
>Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
>Office of Grant Support
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>1300 Morris Park Avenue
>Bronx, NY 10461-1975
>Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
>email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
>http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University