Re: proposal budgets Herbert B. Chermside 06 Aug 2002 14:33 EST

We require a detailed budget, at least internally -- even for NIH modular!

We also have a "Loaded budget" spreadsheet in which page 1 is the detailed
budget but loading in fringes and F&A by line AND a sheet 2 which
summarized the loaded items by major category (personnel, supplies...)
which we aqdvise our faculty to use with industry sponsored worck; industry
gets only page 2 but we keep page 1 in the file.  Note, also, that most
industrial research is fixed price rather than cost reimbursement.

Chuck

At 01:59 PM 8/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>UMKC requires, much to the dismay of certain faculty and fiscal officers,
>a complete line item budget -- even if the potential funding source does
>not.  We require it for the exact reasons you identify and in order to
>insure that the dept. chairs and deans agree to potentially release a
>faculty member to conduct the research.
>
>John
>
>John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
>Director
>Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
>University of Missouri -- Kansas City
>5100 Rockhill Road
>Kansas City, MO 64110
>
>816.235.1303 (v)