Re: proposal budgets Baumann, John 06 Aug 2002 13:59 EST

UMKC requires, much to the dismay of certain faculty and fiscal officers, a complete line item budget -- even if the potential funding source does not.  We require it for the exact reasons you identify and in order to insure that the dept. chairs and deans agree to potentially release a faculty member to conduct the research.

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Support
University of Missouri -- Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110

816.235.1303 (v)
816.235.6532 (f)
xxxxxx@umkc.edu

location: 5211 Rockhill Road

-----Original Message-----
From: Cathy Thomas [mailto:xxxxxx@EIU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 11:37 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] proposal budgets

When a PI or PD turns a grant proposal into our office for signature
approval by our authorized organizational representative, we usually
require an itemized line item budget and/or budget justification for
approval by our grant accountant prior to our AOR signing.  This enables us
to be sure that salaries, fringe, indirect, travel, etc., are budgeted
correctly.

I'm interested to see what other institutions require.  Does anyone allow
just a basic budget, (i.e., TOTAL dollar amount for salaries, fringe,
contractual, commodities, indirect)?

Cathy Thomas
Assistant to the Director
Grants and Research