Re: IP so THERO Mike McCallister 05 Aug 2002 14:51 EST

Narrow is in the experience of the beholder, as it were.  Yes, I
probably erred in my direction, too. Appreciable IP, though, like
Tech Transfer, exists only at certain levels, which are not common
within the mass of research administration tasks.  We (the Great We)
just aren't doing that much of that, yet.  I reacted to the buzzword
nature of IP, not its actuality.

Sometimes we lack a grip.

Spanky

>I thought we had 10 words or less!
>
>"IP happens within research, sometimes."  ???
>Aren't you are taking a very narrow view of intellectual property?
>I think the
>key issue is that the output of creative endeavour is CAPABLE of being
>protected under legislation.  You don't need a trademark or patent to have
>intellectual property.  Administration provides the FRAMEWORK
>through which the
>researcher can more easily justify legitimacy of the invention, concept, or
>literary, artistic and creative work.
>
>CH
>

>Quoting Mike McCallister <xxxxxx@UALR.EDU>:
>
>>  This thing about research administration being about IP?  That
>>  completely misses the point (Sorry Charlie).  IP is a small tail
>>  wagging a big dog right now and is used so much the term has lost
>>  currency.  IP happens within research, sometimes.  It is almost
>>  serendipitous.  It certainly is not as big a deal as some want it to
>>  be, not yet.
>>
>>  So what's RA?  What did you tell your Mom you do at work?  That's
>>  what it is.  It's what needs to be done for our researchers and
>>  faculty  to create new knowledge, solve problems, grow themselves,
>>  even save the world, maybe.  But most of all what we do is help those
>>  who can to do because what they do is, by and large, important to
>>  society.
>>

>>  Spanky

Mike McCallister, Ph. D.
 Director, Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 South University
Little Rock, AR 72204-1099
(v) 501-569-8474
(f) 501-371-7614
(c) 501-590-5609

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I've found it!), but 'That's funny...'"
 ~ Isaac Asimov