Re: An idea for you Mike Mike L. Varney 22 Jul 2002 14:15 EST

It's actually not the matter of a script... when you set up your OOO
messages, you should include all emailing lists in your "do not send OOO
message to these addresses" list.  We use Lotus Notes here, and I can just
enter in a bunch of comma-delimited addresses to not send my OOO messages
to.  Just toss "xxxxxx@hrinet.org" in there, and you won't have to worry
about sending those messages to the list while you're gone.

The software manufacturer is actually quite secretive when it comes to
these filters, as they don't want word to get out as to how the spammers
can defeat them.  Their response is that I as the list owner should
manually (and immediately) remove people who are sending OOO message to the
list.  I think that's rather abrupt and rude for a list of us supposedly
professional people.... but just call me too polite for my own good.

We'll likely have to just leave it as a general request to all the list
members out there to please add "xxxxxx@hrinet.org" to your list of
addresses NOT to send an OOO message to while you're out vacationing /
traveling.

-- Mike Varney / RESADM-L Administrator

 "Herbert B.
 Chermside"               To:       xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
 <xxxxxx@VCU.EDU>         cc:
 Sent by: Research        Subject:  Re: [RESADM-L] An idea for you Mike
 Administration
 List
 <xxxxxx@HRINET.

 07/22/2002 02:57
 PM
 Please respond to
 Research
 Administration
 Discussion List

Mike, if you give us a script for an OOO response, we can all use it, and
not bother our colleagues on this, or other, Listserves.

Chuck

At 02:01 PM 7/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >Say Mike, just a thought: is it possible to teach the serv computer to
> >automatically not send any email with the phrase "Out Of Office" in the
> >subject line?
>
>Unfortunately, no.  The ListServ actually catches most of them... you
>should see my logs!  It's only the non-standardly formatted ones that get
>through. Most OOO responders follow the Internet Standard (tm) and reply
>the actual sender of the message rather than the ListServ.  That's why all
>of you get about 5-10 OOO messages when you submit to the list.
>
>The only recourse we would have is to turn the list into a moderated list,
>but I don't have the resources (read:  time) to moderate the list.  I
>always liked the faster pace of an unmoderated list anyways.
>
>--- Mike Varney / RESADM-L Administrator

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568