Re: proposal budgets Jon Elizabeth Hart 22 Jul 2002 12:31 EST

Even with modular grants, we require a line-item budget breakdown (with
detailed personnel breakdown) to make sure the investigator is asking for
enough money.  We also are very "hands-on" about recalculating budgets for
them.  We don't require a justification for NIH modular grants,
however.  We also require this breakdown so the award can be set up
appropriately, when received.

At 11:37 AM 7/22/02 -0500, you wrote:
>When a PI or PD turns a grant proposal into our office for signature
>approval by our authorized organizational representative, we usually
>require an itemized line item budget and/or budget justification for
>approval by our grant accountant prior to our AOR signing.  This enables us
>to be sure that salaries, fringe, indirect, travel, etc., are budgeted
>correctly.
>
>I'm interested to see what other institutions require.  Does anyone allow
>just a basic budget, (i.e., TOTAL dollar amount for salaries, fringe,
>contractual, commodities, indirect)?
>

>Cathy Thomas
>Assistant to the Director
>Grants and Research
>Eastern Illinois University
>Charleston, IL  61920
>Phone: 217-581-2125
>Fax:  217-581-7181
>E-mail:  xxxxxx@eiu.edu

Jon Hart, Senior Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Ave.-Box 82, NY, NY 10021-6399
tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400
e-mail:  xxxxxx@rockefeller.edu