Re: Paying for Interpreter Services with Grant Funds? GSchmidt 21 Jul 2002 16:37 EST

 The sponsoring institution (the university) is required to provide the
interpreter, and the Americans with Disabilities Act makes it clear that
the costs of accommodations for persons with disabilities is an
administrative cost, part of the overhead.

Institutions  have set up internal procedures similar to your
university.  The Disability Services Office usually has a limited
budget  to provide accommodations to "core" services such as the regular
academic program, and also has a coordination responsibility for other
activities and services.  In these cases,  the actual cost of any needed
accommodations is generally charged to the budget for that  activity.
 Grant funded activities are usually not considered  "core" services.

In some institutions the cost of accommodation is always charged to the
budget for the activity, core or not, in order to more effectively track
the actual cost of operation including the requirements to provide
access for persons with disabilities.

Because the probability that there would be a need for these services is
fairly low and relatively unpredictable, I would probably want to
include these costs in the F&A pool, and expense the costs from some
"pooled" account.  If this is the only program that incurs this cost, I
would budget for it as direct, then, if not needed, return it to the
sponsor, or negotiate a "sidebar" agreement with the sponsor that if
needed, these costs will be added to the total costs of the project and
billed accordingly.

Greg & Peg Schmidt